Ever wonder how to get lucky in the New Year? Epicurious.com has a great post on foods & traditions that will bring good fortune for the new year.
What to Eat
- The Spanish eat 12 grapes, 1 for each month of the year. If the third grape is sour, March will be a rocky month.
- Cooked greens look like folded money and mean good fortune. The more you eat, the more you’ll have in the new year.
- Beans, look like coins, and also represent money. Eat a lot of beans!
- Pork symbolizes progress. Pigs push themselves forward, rooting themselves in the ground before moving.
What Not to Eat
- Lobster is a bad idea because they move backwards and could therefore lead to setbacks.
- Chicken is also discouraged because the bird scratches backwards, which could cause regret or dwelling on the past.
- Another theory warns against eating any winged fowl because good luck could fly away.